Monday, December 12, 2016

Thinking back, I have always been a runner

I never considered myself a runner before I joined the Army...actually, I didn't consider myself a runner then either. As a kid, I ran all the time, with my friends and cousins when we were outside playing. When I had kids, I ran after my kids all day long. I even ran on the treadmill at the gym because I didn't know what other cardio I could do. When I joined the Army, I ran because I had to. Then I broke my hips and couldn't run. I realized that I missed it. During my therapy, I worked hard so that I could run faster and further than before. And I did! It was such fun! I was 20 years old and running 7 minute miles.

Then, life happened and running fast wasn't a priority or a goal. I deployed, so my priority was spending quality time with the people I love. In Iraq I still exercised like clock-work. I ran almost daily...but the stress from Iraq took a toll on my body and I lost weight. When I was back in the US, I was pregnant and still running :) I ran until I was 8 months pregnant. That was probably the easiest pregnancy I've had (6 kids).

Now, I run regularly. Not every day....but I have a schedule. I love the time outside that I get to think about anything, I get to see the world around me that I usually drive by and not really notice. I love when people wave to me. It's nice.

I still run after kids. I still run towards goals. I still run my life. I'm a runner. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment